Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Goto coordinates and ai roles

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Goto coordinates and ai roles
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:50:58 -0500

At 08:36 AM 03/01/21 +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:45:36PM -0500, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
>> Mike Kaufman wrote:

>> >yes, either of these is far better than (-1,-1) which I've never ever
had a
>> >good feeling about. Take your pick really, but I prefer the the
>> >map_position
>> >pointer because it's cleaner...
>>
>> I agree.  I remember Raimar vetoing this idea a *long* time ago, but
>> that was for (IIRC) using pointers to positions for events (e.g., the
>> vnotify_conn_ex argument), as opposed to goto destinations.  I believe
>> his reasons were (1) (-1,-1) should be used over the network anyway to
>> preserve backward-compatability, and (2) using a pointer is slower.
>
>(3) memory leaks you may get with this. So I'm for exactly two places
>where this struct of the position is allocated and freed.
>
>       Raimar
>--

The map_position pointer (to independently allocated storage) is a bit
of a maintenance headache as Raimar suggests. Go the step further and
just don't do it that way.

Instead, add the pointer to the punit struct, and point it back at the
goto_dest_x, goto_dest_y elements which you can convert to an unnamed
map_position, or a union of the existing elements and a map_position
if you need to preserve backwards compatibility. There is no need to
worry about managing memory - ever as that is done when the punit struct
is created and destroyed, and it is the only one to use this memory.

If the pointer is null the goto_dest locations are not valid, if it is
non-null it is pointed correctly and can be used to access the values,
i.e. to set a goto_dest, fill in the values (just like now) and point
to the &punit->goto_dest_x or however you reference it. To mark it as
invalid, just null out the pointer.

Cheers,
RossW
=====