Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#2644) AI needs 5400 years to get Republic

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#2644) AI needs 5400 years to get Republic
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:25:02 -0800

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
> > > after playing a little bit with the experimental AI i saw that the AI
> > > isn't able to make the step to Monarchy or The Republic in some
> > > cases.
> >
> > What was the reason - lack of the technology or didn't it decide to
> > change?
>
> It's lack of technology. And a situation where all money is needed for
> the buildings.
>
> New game with actual cvs:
>
> 100% tax 21 baracks + 16 courthouses, no libraries. 30 cities.
> 28 settlers.

This could be because of one of two things:
  - We don't have anything useful to build (can't optimize for food so
that we can build settlers), so we build barracks instead.
  - We have some spurious want for attackers all over the place that leads
us to build barracks.

The former is more likely. Both are actual problems that should be fixed
eventually.

I do not think that the complex algorithms hinted at by Ross will do any
good whatsoever in any case. Fix the underlying problems.