Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: July 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: time table for ai restructuring

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: time table for ai restructuring
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:41:01 +0200

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 12:31:40AM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> I don't think we are fundamentally at odds here. Using the common code
> base to do a lot of this makes sense. Updating or rewriting the common
> code to do it better in spots (if needed) and using that is not much
> different. When the AI runs as its own process it should reuse as
> much of the current code as it can wherever it gets it. The same applies
> to the process along the way.

> I have no problem running multiple instances of parts of the common code
> (i.e. for each AI) inside the server process, at some point in the process.
> I have no problem not doing it - it becomes an implementation detail.

I have a problem with this. It requires a lot of changes to common/
and server/. And for what? For an intermediate step. The real goal is
IMHO a real seperation of the address space. Than the AI and the
server can communication either with shared memory, RPC or
packets. Packets are the obvious choice here. Seperate process and
communicating with packets ... sounds like a client.

So far I would prefer Pasky's approach: clean up part for part and
move it to the client. And in parallel the cleaned up parts are put
back into the server AI. Than you have always a working server AI
which should become better and you can test your cleaned up code.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying