Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: July 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: time table for ai restructuring

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: time table for ai restructuring
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:51:26 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:31:46AM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:40:27PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> > At 11:02 PM 02/07/15 +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > >We have made plans for moving the AI eventually into client space. The
> > >first step would be to add common stuff into client/ai/common/, like city
> > >management (from CMA) and path finding. The second is to move the AI
> > >sources physically in cvs to client/ai/<AI name>/. The third is to
> > >actually make the existing AI work like a client. This plan is detailed in
> > >README.AI already.
> >
> > There is a terminology problem that I think is skewing your perceptions
> > and/or restricting your options. To repeat an earlier comment, agents
> > are not AI, and their purpose as user GUI tools is not the model to use
> > for a real AI.
>
> I agree with most of the rest of your post Ross, but this confuses me.
> I don't think Per is confusing agents with AI at all. I think he agrees
> with me that Raimar's code shouldn't go to waste. There's no reason why
> good (or at least ok) algorithmic code shouldn't be put as the disposal
> of the server-side AI.
>
> The point I've been trying to make is that the idea that it's good to
> automate some tasks for a human is here to stay. For that to work, some
> mechanism needs to be present to do that automation. ("Agents" are a
> reasonable mechanism). As more automation is applied to tasks in the
> human-controlled client, the automated part becomes more ai based.

Automation for the human user is only a side-effect. The real goal was
and is a client side AI. Automation is available to the user because:
it make debugging/monitoring easier and that at least I can't build an
AI over night and push it in in one big step. So while parts of the
future are in the code they add a value and are getting tested.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks