Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Paper of possible interest.

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Paper of possible interest.
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 07:03:23 -0600

I just came across a research paper that may be of interest to some of you:

"How qualitative spatial reasoning can improve strategy game AIs"
Kenneth D. Forbus, James V. Mahoney, Kevin Dill

Abstract: "Spatial reasoning is a major source of difficulties for strategy game AIs. We conjecture that qualitative spatial reasoning techniques can help overcome these difficulties. We briefly review the relevant qualitative reasoning ideas, and outline four potential advantages of our approach. We describe two explorations in progress: How visual routines can be used to quickly compute qualitative spatial descriptions for war games, and how qualitative descriptions can help in path-finding."

It's 6 pages long. You can download it from http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/426644.html (see the download links at the upper right corner of the page).

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas