Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2008:
[aclug-L] Re: Using RBL on Email server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Using RBL on Email server
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:35:59 -0600

Spamhaus offers two combined lists sbl-xbl which obviously combine sbl
and xbl lists, and zen which adds pbl to the first two.  There's a whole
list of possible filters at http://spamlinks.net/filter-dnsbl-lists.htm

I've been adding and dropping lists for the past few days and I think
I've finally gotten it to a point I can live with the results. My first
few tries weren't aggressive enough and the next few were too aggressive.

I've also taken the suggestion and have added greylisting to the mix.
Anything that isn't caught by the filters gets greylisted. That seems to
  be reducing the already reduced spam flow to almost nil.

However, I'm not running spam-assassin because it was requiring too much
processor time on my underpowered mail servers. Instead I've opted to
let Thunderbird do the filtering when I open my mailbox. Maybe not
optimum, but even when it was working spam-assassin would sometimes
munge an email. No such problem with T-bird.

--Dale