Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2008:
[aclug-L] Re: Using RBL on Email server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Using RBL on Email server
From: Jonathan Hall <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:53:04 -0600

We use RBLs to stop 80-90% of our incoming SMTP connections, on ~500
anti-spam servers installed throughout the U.S. and Canada.

There are different RBLs, and indeed different _types_ of RBLs.  If
you're selective about which ones you use, you can practically eliminate
all false-positives.

sbl.spamhaus.org and xbl.spamhaus.org are pretty safe to block without
fear of false-positives, for instance.  pbl.spamhaus.org is a good
candidate for 'intelligent' greylisting like Steve mentioned.

URIBL is also a great content-based RBL to use (it's a blacklist of URLs
found in email content).  SpamAssassin 3.2 (and maybe 3.1) has a plugin
to use it.  I highly recommend using it!  When we have clients call and
complain that they're getting too much spam, 9 times out of 10, it's
because their URIBL SA plugin isn't working properly (usually due to
broken DNS).

A combination of approaches is almost always best.

--
Inbound and outbound email scanned for spam and viruses by the
DoubleCheck Email Manager: http://www.doublecheckemail.com/