Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2008:
[aclug-L] Re: Using RBL on Email server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Using RBL on Email server
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:20:40 -0600

Thanks for everyone's input.

My mail server handles just the mail for my personal use and my small
business, so I don't have to be quite as concerned as an ISP would be.
I've been trying out some conservative RBL's but they don't seem to be
catching enough. Yesterday I added RBL's that cover China since I rarely
get any legitimate email from there. I've also added a couple that cover
dynamic addresses that have hit a honeypot, but not any that use
automated user nominated list generation. So far that seems to be
working. It's amazing watching the logs and seeing just how much junk
mail is being rejected.

As far as greylisting goes, I think that'll be my next step. I need to
read up a bit more on implementing it first. While I wouldn't call all
this voodoo, it isn't quite the exact science one might hope for. :)
There seems to be a lot of trial and error to get just things tailored
just right.

--Dale