Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: C questions

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: C questions
From: Olwe Bottorff <galanolwe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:54:44 -0800 (PST)

Yes, that's true and once you take 755 to decimal you
can give it to a mode_t variable, then feed it to
open, mkdir, etc. But I guess I'm still wondering how

mkdir("dirname", 0755);

gets converted.

The issue is I'm writing my own tar utility. The mtime
gets stored as an 11-digit char string that's supposed
to be an octal number, so you have to turn it back
into a decimal. I had to do an atoll() on the 11-digit
char string, assigning to a long long variable, then
convert that from octal to decimal to get the utime's
time_t variable fed properly. That can't be the most
elegant way to do this....

LB