Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Win4Lin Pro

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Win4Lin Pro
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:25:50 -0600

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 08:41 -0800, Olwe Bottorff wrote:
> As I understand, it VMWare Player is free, VM Server
> also? So if I only want to, say, test how a Web page
> looks in WinXP IE, a WinXP runs in a virtual VMWare
> session on my Linux, right? How does VMWare (or any of
> the others) handle/move files between the OSs? Right
> now I have to save things off to a FAT32 partition
> since the Linux NTFS drivers don't do writes.
>
> I'd also like to run a virtual BSD, but just as a
> server, i.e., without GUI, interacting just in (a)
> shell(s). I'd want VM Server, right, or could Player
> do this too?
>
> LB

VMware player is just that, a player.
If you install the VM with server or desktop, then it can be run under
player for free.  AIUI the installation is the key to the different
environments.  Player cannot be used to do an install but either server
or desktop can.

What I see there is a user has one copy of server or desktop but wants
to run a VM on several machines.  He then installs the OS on the VM on
the server, copies it to the machine he is running it on, then uses
player to operate it. (Of course he should follow any licensing policies
for the installed OS.)
VMware also has a 30 day free trial so it could theoretically be used to
set things up and use player after the 30 days is up.

Jeff