Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Win4Lin Pro

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Win4Lin Pro
From: Ryan <dreadlocks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:20:39 -0600

you can download vmware server @ http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
basically its alot like the VMWare workstation except you can run
machines without having the gui running.. (like a box with no monitor
plugged into it) and you can connect to the GUI remotely (sorta like
remote desktop/vnc but uses alot more bandwidth).

You can suspend a virtural OS when its not doing anything and pop
right back into it in just a few moments.. my windows running in
VMWare was booted up about 3 years ago and hasent been rebooted.. that
would be an impressive uptime if it hasent been suspended for that 3
years and maby ran for a grand total of maby a full day not in that
suspended state =3D)

You can also freeze the state of a machine, handy when doing tech
suport for legacy OS's.. I had installed all the versions of windows
in virtural machines with a frozen state so if someone called in and I
had to walk them through something I couldent remember off the top of
my head I would just fireup the machine.. install/delete do whatever I
needed then simply close the session and next time it would be exactly
like before.

-Ryan

On 2/28/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 10:55 -0500, Cavgalar, Alexandros (Alex) wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I have to use Windows2000 for the corporate mail (Micros=
oft Oulook exchange) and for the corporate database. In addition, because s=
ome of our customers use Windows platforms, I need to make sure I have Wind=
ows under my fingertips to access their user envrionments.

> > I have been using Monta Vista, Suse, and unfortunately VxWorks for my H=
W/SW development environments. Monta Vista folks told me that I can "bridge=
" the Microsoft Mail to Linux Mail server. However, because they do not sup=
port it, they could not help me.

> > I would like to know how the whole installation of VmWare or Win4Lin go=
es. Will I be installing Windows 2000 and all the SW for the Windows enviro=
nment (i.e. Microsoft Office, the corporat business database, etc.) in my L=
inux box or will I have to have a "dual boot" machine?