Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Non-Computer Question: Seeking Honst Auto Repair Shop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Non-Computer Question: Seeking Honst Auto Repair Shop
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:07:37 -0600

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 07:48 -0600, David Carmichael wrote:
> I have a '97 Ford Taurus which has been acting strange..
>
> The starter will not turn over the motor after 'short trips' to the store..
> the car has to sit for at least 30 mins.
>
> We replaced the battery thinking that was the troubles but...
>
> When trying to start the car, the starter will not turn over, the head
> lights do not even dim!
> There is no 'CLICKING' or other sounds coming from the starter!
>
> This started shortly after getting new pan and head gaskets replaced to fix
> an oil leak.
>
> We have been told that it is the:
> Starter [$400]
> Wire [$100 to find the bad wire + parts which could cost $300+]
> Emissions or other engine sensor [$1000+]

This can be several things, starter switch (part of the ignition
switch), solenoid, starter, battery cable, (or other smaller and harder
to trace wires in the harness)

The easiest way to track it down is to get under the car where the
starter is. (I think the newer ford starters have the solenoid on the
starter.)  Do this at a time when it will not turn over with the key
switch.

Look at the solenoid and you should see one heavy battery cable on one
large post and a smaller wire from the starter switch on a smaller post.
(or maybe 2 small wires).    The test is simply to use something like a
screwdriver and short the small post to the larger post.  If the starter
does not turn over it likely is the solenoid like you thought, or the
battery cable.  if it does turn over then it may be in the ignition
switch (although that is not usually affected by heat as you describe)

The starter is not hard to replace, nor is the battery cable. Parts
should cost no more than $20 to $40 for the battery cable and $40 - $100
for the starter at Auto Zone or O'Reilly.  A little bit of effort on
your part can save a lot in mechanics labor expense and parts markup.