Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: a question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: a question
From: Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:50:21 -0600

On Monday 23 February 2004 11:39 am, Carl D Cravens wrote:

> How does your cost of living compare to the national average?  My brother
> in San Francisco makes quite a bit more than I do, but I live better than
> he does and I support a family of three, where he's single.

I am told that a beginning assistant professor in math at San Francisco State
earns about $60,000 and this is not enough to live on.  However, many places
(e.g. Univ. of Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Texas A&M, Univ. of Wyoming, etc.)
have costs of living reasonably close to Wichita's.  I imagine that if you
work in New York, Boston, LA, SF or another high cost city, then having
rich parents is necessary (or at least very helpful).  However, there are many
universities with reasonable housing, food, etc within driving distance.
(I am told some southern universities offer beginning salaries of $35,000.
This is a joke and no decent mathematician would even consider such an offer;
the chairs of these departments are said to be very embarassed to make such
offers.)

We have a candidate for assistant professor speaking today.  I am curious to
see the salary the dean allows us to offer and what she thinks of our offer
(if we decide we want to hire her).  I hope our offer would reflect that
of the national market.  When one considers that the candidates we interview
are in the top five of 200 candidates and most of these candidates already
have multiple job offers, it would be silly to offer less than the going rate.