Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: File too short

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: File too short
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:36:07 -0600

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 17:16, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 16:11, bbales wrote:
> > Yes, the ' -o rw ' allowed me to write and delete files.
> > I was able to copy the file libc-2.2.4.so to its proper place in
> > /hda2/lib, but unfortunately it still wouldn't boot.
>
> same error?
>
> did you create the symbolic link (libc.so.6)?

The llink was still there, pointing to libc-2.2.4.so.  The error was similar,
but I can't remember precisely what it was.

> > So I went back in and deleted both libc.so.6 and libc-2.2.4.so and reran
> > the RH7.2 install as upgrade thinking it would replace the missing files.
> >  It didn't do anything.  At least it was quick.
>
> what version of RH was installed previously ... if it was already 7.2,
> then an upgrade won't do anything (it only checks the RPM database, not
> the actual files, for things that need to be upgraded)... makes sense
> that it was fast if you were trying to upgrade 7.2 with 7.2, since all
> versions in the RPM database on your hdd would be >= to the versions on
> the cds...
> -g-

That explains a lot.  I have started the upgrade to RH-9.  First time through
it indicated it needed 575 more MB of disk space which would be about 900MB
more than the RH-7.2 it was upgrading.  I have restarted with "custom
selection of packages to upgrade" whatever that means.

Kinda irritates me that it has to spend 31 minutes to determine the disk is
too small.

By the way, I was able to copy much of her home page to the windows disk on
the system, so she will maybe have her email and a few documents she wanted.

Many thanks to everyone for the help.  I have learned a lot in the last two
days.  And Knoppix is a great tool, when you learn a little about it.
bruce