Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: February Meeting topic?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: February Meeting topic?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:41:58 -0600

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:discussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxx]On
> Behalf Of John Goerzen

> Oh, and, what date is the meeting? :-)

The meeting is next Monday, Feb 9th at 7:30pm.

As far as the topics go, these are the one's I'd choose from:

> LVM and Advanced Filesystems: Two separate topics.  First, the LVM,
> which essentially replaces partition tables with a far more advanced,
> yet easier to use, option.  Then, common advanced filesystems: reiserfs
> and ext3 and my personal experience with both.

> * Debian.  Debian is, well, one of those "different" distributions.
>   I'll talk about Debian's history, why I use Debian on all my machines,
>   its current status, its weaknesses, how to use it, etc.  Debian is
>   also the only Linux distribution that is not just a Linux
>   distribution; Debian ports also exist for the Hurd operating system,
>   are in progress for FreeBSD and NetBSD; are even being worked on for
>   Windows (!); and the Debian packaging system has been ported to MacOS
>   X (fink).  I'll talk about some of these things, too.
>
> * (shorter topic) OfflineIMAP, my e-mail synchronization tool.  An
>   overview of the problems it's written to solve, discussion about how
>   to set it up, a demonstration of its use if possible, and if there's
>   interest, a discussion about the architecture under the hood.
>
> * Linux Virtual Servers.  Different ways you can take a single machine
>   and carve it up into many smaller virtual machines.  Discussion of why
>   this is a useful technique.  I'll cover both the vserver project and
>   User Mode Linux.  Time permitting, I'll also briefly discuss the
>   FreeBSD jail feature, which is similar to the vserver idea.

So of these choices, which would everyone like to hear about, assuming John
can attend the next meeting?  We'll go with the top choice, or if there's no
clear winner, I'll pick one.

--Dale

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx