Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: cdrom problem

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cdrom problem
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:03:00 -0600

On Saturday 17 January 2004 17:46, you wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:18:32PM -0600, bbales wrote:
> > Sometimes I wish there was a list of utilities with a one-line
> > description of each one.  Guess it would be a long list.
>
> Try:
>
> man -k '' | sort | less

Well, that produces an interesting list.  Mine has 6,409 entries.  However, it
is really not very useful as it does not contain locate, grep, sort, lsof,
mount, umount, reboot, less, more, mkdir, ls, wc, man, su or any of the
commands I frequently use.

What we need is something that will pull out line 4 of each of the man pages.
Won't sed do something like that?
bruce