Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2003:
[aclug-L] Controlling Spam

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Controlling Spam
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:32:28 -0600

Recently I have been inundated with spam,  Sometimes more than 70 per=20
day.  I'm running R/H 7.2 and using kmail.  kmail's filters are useful,=20
but were only catching about 10% of the spam.  I tried several times to=20
set up a way to control the spam, each time running into some obstacle=20
that I couldn't overcome - usually incomprehensible or incomplete=20
instructions or missing dependencies that seemed to be not available=20
anywhere. =20

I finally found a page that said to run=20
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Mail::SpamAssassin' and it installed=20
spamassassin (damn magic), but I couldn't figure out how to hook it up=20
to kmail.  HowTos, man pages, magazine articles, tutorials on the web=20
didn't help.

Until last night.  I found a web page that I could follow and that had=20
all the detail I needed:

http://www.softwaredesign.co.uk/Information.SpamFilters.html

And it worked!  Since 1:00 this morning, 61 spams identified correctly,=20
five messages correctly identified as real email, and no=20
false-negatives  or false-positives.  Spamassassin is great.
bruce