Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Question
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:44:24 -0500

> mostly, I was interested in performance, as I have read that there is a
> performance gain by having compiled the software on your own machine.  =
> already know how to install from teh binaries, but was interested in
> doing a complete install from source, just for the increace in
> knowledge, experiance and to get the new coveted Linux Geek merit badge=
,
> but I am about 11 years too old to be elidgable for that anyway.
>
> Thanks for all the input...

The performace gain may or may not be that much, mostly it depends on usi=
ng a=20
distribution like gentoo where you set CFLAGS to something more than=20
(-mcpu=3Dpentium3 or whatever the binary distributions are using, and the=
y=20
generally use -mcpu as opposed to -march because -mcpu does not add=20
extensions such as MMX or SSE). Much of Gentoo (or other source based=20
distro's advantage speedwise) depends upon how much someone wants to twea=
k=20
it, and lack of options people don't want (look up USE flags on gentoo.or=
g if=20
you are interested in that). Gentoo also has one of the greatest package=20
managers available (I personally rank it better than apt (on debian or=20
redhat)) and one of the best user communities (IMO) of any distro. The=20
install has no installer, but it is well documented (on gentoo.org see th=
e=20
Install guide in the left menu). You have to configure everything yoursel=
f.

If you are interested in a "Linux from Scrach", search for that in google=
.=20
that literally is linux from scratch (excluding the host to get the very=20
basics going)

James L.