Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Question
From: "Jesse Kaufman" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:55:05 -0000

> mostly, I was interested in performance, as I have read that there is a
> performance gain by having compiled the software on your own machine.  I
> already know how to install from teh binaries, but was interested in

yes, if you set the optimization for your machine...  ie: the machines i use at
work are all athlon, so i do an 'rpmbuild -ba --target=athlon <spec_file>' to
use the athlon optimizations built-in to the /usr/lib/rpm/macros and
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc files (or something like that)...  on x86 you can chose from
i386, i486, i586, and i686.. which ever suits your system best...

> doing a complete install from source, just for the increace in
> knowledge, experiance and to get the new coveted Linux Geek merit badge,

is there any other reason to screw around with things on a computer? ;)

> but I am about 11 years too old to be elidgable for that anyway.

eh, i'm a firm believer in the fact that you're never too old to
learn............ kinda ironic, since the last time i was at a meeting, i was
probably one of the youngest (if not the youngest) in the group! :P

> Thanks for all the input...

not a problem... there are *some* docs on www.rpm.org, but they're pretty basic
and it seems a lot of them are outdated or just poorly written...  90% of what
i know about RPMs i've learned from looking at others' spec files (especially
the spec files of RPMs that really annoy the hell out of me, since i learned a
lot of good practices from the poor practices of others)  :)

gLaNDix