Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Question
From: Ivan <itrail@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:43:50 -0500

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

>SRPM = Source RPM (if you didn't already know :)
>
>if you install an SRPM, it places a specfile in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and any
>sources/patches in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.  you can then build a binary RPM
>from those files.
>
>if all you're wanting to do is install an app, get the binary RPM.  if you
>want to make changes to the RPM or compile it with different optimizations,
>install the SRPM and compile your own RPM from scratch.  if you do decide to
>compile your own and have ANY questions, feel free to ask on the discussion
>list, since i've had more experience than i EVER wanted with compiling RPMS
>(i'm in charge of building/managing packages for the CPUBuilders OS, so i've
>literally compiled thousands upon thousands of RPMS).
>
>gLaNDix

mostly, I was interested in performance, as I have read that there is a
performance gain by having compiled the software on your own machine.  I
already know how to install from teh binaries, but was interested in
doing a complete install from source, just for the increace in
knowledge, experiance and to get the new coveted Linux Geek merit badge,
but I am about 11 years too old to be elidgable for that anyway.

Thanks for all the input...

Ivan