Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: [presentations] August Meeting Topic?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: [presentations] August Meeting Topic?
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:20:17 -0500

ironrose wrote:
> I thought that we already had a topic and a speaker planned.  I don't
> remember who or the topic--I think it was a networking topic.  Do we
> have someone in the group familiar with PHP--enough to give a
> presentation?  ttyl ~Anne

I thought one topic that had been proposed (not sure if for this month)
was Linux distros that could be booted from cd or floppy w/o install.

With regard to PHP, that's a pretty big topic for a presentation. One
could do the usual quick glossover -- what is it? why use it? how to
install/configure it? -- but that doesn't get very far. One could
concentrate on one specific area: e.g., the HTTP interfaces, or
specific subsets of that, like forms handling or cookies; the MySQL
interface is another subset that is somewhat manageable (assuming
you already have PHP and MySQL working separately). Or one could
look at a specific PHP-based application, and how to extend it --
PostNuke, for instance, would be a totally different presentation
from anything general on PHP, although it would require some (not
total) PHP expertise to get into it.

What I would be tempted to do for PHP (and I don't see this as a
possibility for next week's meeting) would be to solicit written
questions ahead of time, then run through the most generally useful
ones at the meeting, instead of giving a presentation per se. This
would help whoever's doing this to prepare ahead of time, to set
the level of technical detail, etc. It might also allow for a mix
of technical levels, so people at different levels can all get
something out of it.

Meanwhile, let me throw out one request for something I would like
to see someone do a presentation on: how do I set up a local mail
management system that can fetch mail from various sources (cox
plus others), do some spam filtering, route the mail locally to
several recipients (some virtual), manage small mailing lists
locally, send mail, etc. Probably doesn't have to go into mail
clients, although that would be a plus, too. I have only the
vaguest idea how to do these things, but I need something along
these lines, and I suspect that other people do as well.

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2(cox.net) * http://www.tomhull.com/