Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Windows Updating

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Windows Updating
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:54:13 -0500

When I was working with a database entry program (custom written), I
wrote a small preloader that compared the versions of the installed
package and the one on the distribution server.  If there was an update
it installed the update before actually starting the app.

This had the following features:
    1. automatic
    2. ensured the app running was always the latest
    3. painless to the user -- they did not even know the update occured
unless they had checked the versions during the previous session.
    4. If the distribution server was not available it started the app
with the current version.

Jeff