Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support
From: GunnM@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:50:22 -0500

I've been doing freelance work for awhile. All i've ever done is A: Keep an
ad in the paper sometimes and B: Call every single person I hear about who
has computer trouble (You know, "oh my daughter has so much trouble with
her computer").
I charge $40.00 for the first three hours work and $20.00 after that. I
think it's important that if someone is shopping around they see you as
ultracheap compared to any storefront repair operation. Another thing i've
found I can make out better on the 15 minute repairs is to make a trade for
the service (i've gotten antiques to sell on ebay and made a killing for
doing a recover  on some excel file restores).
Couple of other tips,
1. Get either a wholesale account for yourself or find a buddy with one for
parts so you don't have to pay retail.
2. Keep meticulous records of everything. (Contact info, Reciepts,
Credits). Remember, once you make over $2000/yr doing this in theory you
are supposed to report it on your taxes.
3. As above, make the trade for services with sr. ladys. If you fix her
email in exchange for a couple of  pies or cookies or whatever, you have to
remember that they love to chat with thier friends and when they mention
you fixed thier stuff you've just gotten another referral. I'd say roughly
%20 of my business is with retired people and they are solid, repeat
business. Don't always do it for free, just have to make a judgement call
on when to do it.
4. Always have the customer sign a waiver that says *When i jack this up
worse, i'm not liable*...and also always give them a detailed reciept and
invoice. It helps for your records and the customer feels they are dealing
with a professional.
5. Don't overschedule yourself.
6. If they do not have broadband access see if they would like you to take
the PC and do all of the updates and patches. You can make a few extra
dollars doing something thats necassary. Don't try to sit in someones house
on a 28.8 dialup doing XP Service packs, it'll annoy everyone involved.
7. When setting up the call anticipate what you'll need in terms of tools
and CD's or Diskettes. (always keep a can of air and some tools in the
trunk)

Well just some advise from my experience doing freelance work. I don't do
as much as i'd like to anymore but my current job keeps my schedule pretty
full. Hope this helps a little.

Regards
Mike G.

Michael Gunn CCNA