Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Freelance Technical Support
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:40:50 -0500

> I charge $40.00 for the first three hours work and $20.00 after that. I
> think it's important that if someone is shopping around they see you as
> ultracheap compared to any storefront repair operation. Another thing i've

I suppose this depends on who your target customers are.  I would never
charge that little.  Most highschool kids charge about $20/hour.  I don't
want to be lumped in with that group.  But then... if your target customer
is mostly retired people (as you indicated below), then maybe that's
appropriate.

I typically charge $50-$100/hour, depending on the type of work I'm doing.
And people are happy to pay me (even retired people), so long as I get their
computer working.

Most "store front" type places charge more than that, so even at that "high
rate" it's easy to beat the competition on price without sacrificing a
quality image.

> found I can make out better on the 15 minute repairs is to make a trade
for
> the service (i've gotten antiques to sell on ebay and made a killing for
> doing a recover  on some excel file restores).
> Couple of other tips,
> 1. Get either a wholesale account for yourself or find a buddy with one
for
> parts so you don't have to pay retail.
> 2. Keep meticulous records of everything. (Contact info, Reciepts,
> Credits). Remember, once you make over $2000/yr doing this in theory you
> are supposed to report it on your taxes.

Actually I believe that figure is $400/year.