Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: jeffrey l koehn <caveman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:14:38 -0600

On Friday 13 December 2002 10:47 pm, you wrote:
> > On Friday 13 December 2002 02:00 pm, you wrote:
> > > Even the Linux software that is "easy" to install in a user's
> > > home directory is many times more difficult to install than
> > > your average Windows application which requires nothing more
> > > than hitting "Next" a few times after the installer is
> > > automatically started.
> > > If you have a Linux app with an easy installer (OpenOffice
> > > has a nice one), you still have to train the user how to
> > > unpack and execute the installer.  Not an impossible task by
> > > any means, but more difficult than in a Windows environment.
> >
> >  Things change, times change, people change.
> >
> > The one thing that does not change:
> >  Most people like freedom because you can
> > participate  in changing things and/or observe the change.
> >  The Linux Kernel and Open Source Code are not
> > standing still and never will because machine code
> > is evolving like human speech languages.
> >  It's FREEDOM at its best.
>
> What exactly does that have to do with the topic at hand, though?
> :)

Have you used RedHat 8.0? Have You used the 2.4.20 Kernel?
Have you used the latest GNOME? Have You Used the latest
Applications for the Linux Distros? Have you used the latest
hardware with Linux? Have you used GIMP? Have you tested
the 2.5 development kernel? Do you know what RedHat has planned
for the next releases? Have you used Gnumeric? If you do use
OpenOffice then do you run it under Linux?
Do you keep up with the development of Linux Apps like OpenOffice
on a daily basis? Do you know  that there is now hundreds
and hundreds of companies/corps using Linux and
Linux Distros for servers and desktops and why are
they doing this? Do you know Why some companies are only using
Linux and Open Source on the Desktop and how they are
doing this?
Do you know why it is impossible to stop the growth of Linux and
Open Source and
Why there is a lot of high tech things you can do with Linux and
OpenSource that you can not do with Microsoft?

Do Not reply to any of these questions.
These questions are just a few of  hundreds of questions
that you may want to ask yourself.