Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:51:19 -0600

On Thursday 12 December 2002 10:28 pm, you wrote:

> And I still think Windows is better for uneducated computer
> users.

Guess I should throw in my two cents worth.  My wife has never
used any Microsoft product.  Completely computer illiterate. In
August I bought her an old 166MHz box and installed RH 7.2
and KDE.  I showed her a few things and she now spends three or
four hours a day  on it - mostly email, surfing the web, and
playing games.  I have to help out now and then, but mostly
minor things.

She has never turned it off so I would have to go over the
login with her again if we went on vacation or if it failed.
(She turns off the monitor at night.)  If she decides to use
kword or some other program I would have to get her started.

Windows couldn't be easier for her.  There's no way she could
have set this up with Linux, but she couldn't have installed
Windows either.  Once set up Linux is just as easy as Windows.
bruce