Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:44:59 -0600

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:10:19AM -0600, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> If all you're doing is email and web browsing, that's probably true.
>
> As soon as someone wants to install the latest screen saver, or chat
> program, or whatever the latest gadget is... Linux is worlds harder,
> sometimes impossible (without root access) for a new user than Windows is.

I don't think that's true.  In fact, I think just the opposite is true.

I use kpackage with Debian on occasion.  It has a nice GUI, is easy to use,
and you don't have to go search on numerous sides with popups to find
possibly virus-laden software.

RedHat-ish users may use a service like RedCarpet.  Though I obviously
prefer the Debian situation, there are others too.

And the root access thing applies to NT and above too.

-- John