Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: MS vs OpenOffice docs

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: MS vs OpenOffice docs
From: Luke Wahlmeier <howdyboby2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:40:04 -0800 (PST)

I looked at this cause i was ver interested to see the
difrance in the formats.  I too a 507kb txt file( my
preferd format) and pasted it into word, and saved it
as a doc, and also into Openoffice and aved it as a
sxw file then i found a utility tho extract the
openoffice sxw file.  it is rather interesting how it
stores the file.  but anyway this was the resault
word .doc 1.04Mb
word .doc ziped 199kb
openoffice .swx 195kb
openoffice expanded 634kb
openoffice swx file zipped 194kb

i belive this showes the victor, well as far as file
size goes.  both the word and OOo werepasted the whole
document had the same size of text and the same number
of words.  even uncompressed openoffice only added
alittle over 100kb for formating, whlie word almost
doubled the size of it.  I am guessing there was a lot
of emplty space being taken up by word, or alot of
repedative chars, because it got a good compression
ratio when ziped  might try a 22mb xls file next