Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Internal 'Computer Channel' update.

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Internal 'Computer Channel' update.
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:17:03 -0500

Linux supports many TV out cards.  The Voodoo 3 TV out port is supported in
Linux, and you can pick up one of those cards for probably $20 now.  So if
your particular one isn't supported in Linux, I'm sure there is one that
is..

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:32:55AM -0500, David Carmichael wrote:

> Well folks it works.... a little bit better than I had expected!
>
> While I still have a few add-on to get my test bench cleaned up. [Like a UHF
> Modulator that I "won" on ebay] I am running the output into the inputs to a
> VCR that I already have UHF outs connected to my home system.
>
> I ended up using one freeware program that does in Windows "ALT+TAB" at a
> users set speed from a programmer named "Analog-X" And everything else I
> "Borrowed" HTML codes for rewritten web pages. I just need to get the
> refresh timing down so that the webmasters don't think that I am "Attacking"
> their systems.
>
> 'IF' I had a faster computer I would of added the NASA web broadcast
> channel... Knowing that I could do this I just might build (in the future) a
> computer with web access for what they call 'BROADBAND MEDIA' and connect it
> to my home "TV" network in the future.
>
> But for now for the audio I am using a CD/RW full of MP3's in repeat/shuffle
> mode.
>
> I plan on adding a NOAA weather radio to the system via the line input in
> the future.. as soon as the power supply interference troubles can be worked
> around, and may just mix the MP3 with the computer voiced NOAA reports due
> to the amount of 'dead air' there is during the broadcasts.
>
> From what I can tell everything that I am doing with my little P233MMX
> system under Windows could be done under Linux!  While you might not be able
> to use an onboard TV out card.. there are now many low cost VGA converters
> on the market.
>
> 'IF' none of this makes any sense to you.. sorry I woke up from a nightmare
> and could not go back to bed and thought that I would write a update.
>
> --David

Floppy disk tip #6: Periodically spray diskettes with insecticide to prevent
system bugs from spreading.....