Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2002:
[aclug-L] Ram how to tell if bad or..

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Ram how to tell if bad or..
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:55:58 -0500

Speaking of Hardware Engineers;

Yesterday I tied to help a friend out by upgrading his memory on a little
'HP Pavilion XE783' Wal-Mart Special.

The DIMM that I had was a 64meg PC-133.

Other than the fact that you had to have the hands of a two year old and
bend like 'Gumby' to get the ran in the slot...

Once it was in, we rebooted the system and the video display was all
scrambled.

Removed the DIMM and rebooted and the video was correct.

The 'HP' web site calls out for PC-100.

I thought that the DIMM had gone bad so place it into another system to
check and the second system booted up just fine.

The Crucial lists PC-133 as a replacement / add-on DIMM.

Got any suggestions?

--David