Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: virus infectes LINUX, UNIX & OS/10 machines!!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: virus infectes LINUX, UNIX & OS/10 machines!!!
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:18:36 -0500

David Carmichael wrote:

> John -
>
> I was reading at the 'Norton' site that this virus does and has infected
> LINUX, UNIX & OS/10 machines!!!
>
> I think that it would be wise for everybody in this group to get a virus
> scanner and check every machine in their network!!

According to this from Kaspersky Lab, klez.h gets to your box via IE, which
means it requires a Microsoft operating system.

http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?tnews=20140&id=560839

To gain entry to a computer the worm exploits a vulnerability in the Internet
Explorer security system (the IFRAME vulnerability). Due to this Klez is able
to imperceptibly infect computers immediately after the infected message is
read. This special feature practically discounts the human factor and many
times over raises the effectiveness of Klez.h to infect and to spread.

To protect against Klez.h Kaspersky Labs recommends that you immediately
update the Kaspersky Anti-Virus database. To remove the threat of infection
from the Klez.h worm and any other modification of this worm, you should
install the required patch for  Internet Explorer. It can be found on the
Microsoft site at the following address:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/critical/Q290108/default.asp