Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux for TRS-80

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux for TRS-80
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:12:00 -0600

I set up a PPP server on a 386SX/20 with 4mb RAM and 170mb HD once.

It worked some of the time... only problem was when pppd wasn't fresh in
memory, swapping took so long that PAP authentication would time out.

TRUE STORY!  (It is April 2 now, technically)

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:26:51PM -0800, Curtis Hawthorne wrote:

> Actually, for quite a while I really did run an IRC server
> on a computer with a 25mhz CPU.  It had 32mb of RAM and a
> 400mb hard drive though :-).  It was a SparcStation IPX,
> wasn't that speedy but worked just fine for a small
> IRC/Webserver and I did use Boa for it which was quite
> fast.  Compiling software on it took forever though.
>
> Curtis H.
>
> --- Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I ran into a similar problem when I put my cluster of
> > Commodore computers
> > running Linux online.  I found that my Vic-20 with 5k of
> > RAM didn't really
> > have enough memory to run even a scaled down version of
> > ipchains.  What I
> > had to do was set up a dedicated firewall machine.
> >
> > I originally did it with a Commodore 64 with an upgrade
> > 20Mhz CPU, but later
> > found that extra speed was better used for the front-end
> > to my Apache
> > cluster, so I implimented a stock Commodore 128 as my
> > firewall/router.
> >
> > At the time, of course, I could only afford dialup with a
> > single dynamic IP
> > address, so the C128 was also doing IP Masquerading--that
> > took some doing
> > b/c the original Linux port to the C128 didn't support
> > that.  I had to
> > fumble through old 1.2.x kernels to find the appropriate
> > code and port it to
> > the Commodoore.  Getting my favorite Dynamic DNS system
> > to work on the C128
> > was a bit tricky, too, but after trying about three, I
> > was able to find one
> > with client-side software that wasn't too difficult to
> > get working on my
> > system.
> >
> > So I then set up port-forwarding, forwarding port 80
> > through my C128
> > firewall to the previously mentioned 20Mhz upgraded C64,
> > which is running
> > Apache (Note: You'll have to compile Apache with all
> > necessary modules
> > __built in__--the dynamic module code uses too much
> > memory otherwise).
> > After about three weeks of trying, I finally got Apache
> > compiled on the C64.
> > Even at 20Mhz, in 64k of RAM, it takes about 2.5 days to
> > compile--and in
> > most cases you get errors before it gets taht far.
> >
> > Then on four other Commodore machines (Two Vic-20's,
> > another 1Mhz C64, and a
> > PC64--essentially a "portable"/luggable C64) I am running
> > boa.  I could have
> > hacked Apache even more, but figured I didn't really need
> > that much
> > functionality, since I'm not doing vhosting, and don't
> > really have any use
> > for PHP or CGI--I wouldn't want to go overboard on these
> > poor machines!
> >
> > My Apache C64 then forwards or redirects requests to each
> > of the other 4
> > machines in a nearly-random fassion, which allows for a
> [...]

Police in Wichita, Kansas, arrested a 22-year-old man at an airport hotel
after he tried to pass two (counterfeit) $16 bills.