Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux for TRS-80

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux for TRS-80
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:31:41 -0600

I ran into a similar problem when I put my cluster of Commodore computers
running Linux online.  I found that my Vic-20 with 5k of RAM didn't really
have enough memory to run even a scaled down version of ipchains.  What I
had to do was set up a dedicated firewall machine.

I originally did it with a Commodore 64 with an upgrade 20Mhz CPU, but later
found that extra speed was better used for the front-end to my Apache
cluster, so I implimented a stock Commodore 128 as my firewall/router.

At the time, of course, I could only afford dialup with a single dynamic IP
address, so the C128 was also doing IP Masquerading--that took some doing
b/c the original Linux port to the C128 didn't support that.  I had to
fumble through old 1.2.x kernels to find the appropriate code and port it to
the Commodoore.  Getting my favorite Dynamic DNS system to work on the C128
was a bit tricky, too, but after trying about three, I was able to find one
with client-side software that wasn't too difficult to get working on my
system.

So I then set up port-forwarding, forwarding port 80 through my C128
firewall to the previously mentioned 20Mhz upgraded C64, which is running
Apache (Note: You'll have to compile Apache with all necessary modules
__built in__--the dynamic module code uses too much memory otherwise).
After about three weeks of trying, I finally got Apache compiled on the C64.
Even at 20Mhz, in 64k of RAM, it takes about 2.5 days to compile--and in
most cases you get errors before it gets taht far.

Then on four other Commodore machines (Two Vic-20's, another 1Mhz C64, and a
PC64--essentially a "portable"/luggable C64) I am running boa.  I could have
hacked Apache even more, but figured I didn't really need that much
functionality, since I'm not doing vhosting, and don't really have any use
for PHP or CGI--I wouldn't want to go overboard on these poor machines!

My Apache C64 then forwards or redirects requests to each of the other 4
machines in a nearly-random fassion, which allows for a great performance
boost.  Before I had the cluster going, I was serving about .03 hits/sec.
Now with this lovely cluster, I can serve more than twice that... about .16
hits/sec over my 2400 baud modem.  (I'm saving up to get another 20Mhz CPU
upgrade for the C128 so I can intall a 14.4kbps modem, but first things
first)

And lastly, I have one more Vic-20 running as my tape backup server.  I
wrote some custom sh/tar scripts to gather essential files from each of the
other 6 machines, then back them up to a standard audio cassette tape.  The
nightly backup process takes about 6 hours, but since audio cassettes are so
cheap, and I'm only backing up about 150k of data, it sure saves a lot of
money versus buying a newer computer with a commercial grade tape drive.

Now my only question is... Since I had to use the Joystick ports on each
computer as the network interface... Has anyone come up with a way to still
play "Winter Games" using my joystick without disabling the entire network?

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:04:02AM -0600, Bruce Alderman wrote:

> I've been trying to get Linux to run on my old TRS-80 Model III
> computer, with its Z-80 processor (running at 2 MHz), 48k of memory
> (upgraded from the original 16k), dual 5.25" floppy drives (also an
> upgrade), and cassette tape backup.
>
> After trying a tiny Linux mini-distribution I downloaded from
> www.you'rekidding.net, I decided to go with a slightly more robust
> version I found at www.thishastobeajoke,right?.org.  I'm still working
> on getting X configured properly.  The TRS-80 has only 128x48 graphics
> resolution, and the built-in monitor is monochrome.  Also I'm having
> lots of problems getting my daisy-wheel printer to handle Postscript
> files.  But it's been a lot of fun trying to get everything to work
> together.
>
> If I can find another TRS-80 somewhere, I'd like to try to network them
> together.  Maybe I can buy one from an itinerant merchant at the next
> Saturday Sale.
>
> Anyway, as I mentioned earlier: it's a tiny distribution, and several
> components had to be left out to fit on the TRS-80's 180k floppies.
> There's no modem-related software, for example.  This wasn't a problem
> until last week, when I found a TRS-80 compatible modem in a local
> junkyard.  Why somebody threw out a perfectly good 300 baud modem is
> beyond me.  They could have sold it at eBay.  Anyway, I salvaged it,
> installed it in my machine, and wrote a crufty dialer program using the
> TRS-80's ROM BASIC interpreter (an early Microsoft product, but what
> else can I do?)  I've been leaving the machine on 24/7, mainly because
> that's how long it takes to download my email.
>
> But now I'm worried someone is going to hack my system, and I haven't
> been able to find any good TRS-80 firewall software.  Granted, the
> system speed is probably enough of a deterrent to keep me safe.
> However, I'd sleep better at night if I was sure my machine was
> protected from intruders.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> --
> Bruce Alderman                                baa@xxxxxxxxxx
>                  http://www.intcon.net/~baa
> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
>                                        - Philo of Alexandria

Tech Support: "Ok, in the lower left-hand corner of File Manager, what does
it have for 'Free'?"
Customer: "10,578 kegabytes."