Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] Can't get desired modules to be included on kernel compile

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Can't get desired modules to be included on kernel compile
From: Glenn Wiens <gwiens@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:29:19 -0600

I was not able to be present for the presentation given by James at the last
ACLUG on rebuilding the kernel. However, he was gracious enough to send me a
copy of the material. And after reading it, I finally got up the courage to
try to rebuild the kernel one of my own test Linux machines and it was a
success! Invincible! ;-)

However, my purpose in doing this was to incorporate a patch (for
masquerading IPSEC traffic). But somehow, I could not get this patch
material to show up in the newly compiled and installed kernel. No longer
invincible :-|

I can see that, after running the patch, there is at least one new file in
the tree: /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/ip_masq_ipsec.c. But after doing

    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

and installing the image in my /boot directory and booting, the kernel and I
talk:

    modprobe ip_masq_ipsec
    modprobe: Can't locate module ip_masq_ipsec

Also, doing a find on ip_masq_ipsec.o from the /usr/src turns up nothing, so
it apparently isn't compiling into the kernel.

Running through the make menuconfig menu items didn't turn up anything that
I should have apparently checked or unchecked.

For reference, I am using the following URLs as a guide:

http://www.impsec.org/linux/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VPN-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

Is it abundantly obvious what I'm missing? I have been over the notes again,
but I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Glenn Wiens