Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] FW: , Update on Please help save SaturdaySale computer sale

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] FW: , Update on Please help save SaturdaySale computer sale
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:40:56 -0600

For those interested in the outcome.
-----Original Message-----
From: www.saturdaysale.com [mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 8:49 PM
To: info@xxxxxxxxx

Dear ,

So many of you responded that we are humbled and honored to advise you
that City Hall has relented, and has dismissed the citation that was
issued March 9th, and they will not presently enforce the ordinance
regarding "itinerate merchants" against SaturdaySale Computer Sale.

We thank each and every one of you for your support and for responding
to our call to action. We have been told that your voices were heard at
City Hall, and that the Mayor and City council received a large quantity
of email on the subject of SaturdaySale.

We once again apologize for sending this extra and additional email, but
several of you who have written to inquire about the status of the fight
with City Hall have said that they think of us as their friends, and
that an email explaining that the situation has been resolved would be
both appropriate and welcome. Please be assured that we will not ever
bombard you with frivolous emails. Two a month. That is all (unless
there are extraordinary circumstances, I guess we should add!).

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that Catherine
Holdeman in the City Managers office, Elizabeth Herlenske in the City
Attorney's office, and a supervisor named "Joe" in the City Ticket
clerk's office were all courteous, with regard to this matter.

Therefore, although this started out as a contentious issue, it was
resolved in your and our favor, and the City was very gratious in their
treatment of your show producers. If you have the opportunity to meet
with your council members, I suggest that you mention to them that their
City Hall does seem to be responsive to what the people want, after all.

I am going to insert below the email sent to the show producer by the
City Manager's office, after they called to let us know that they had
dismissed the citation. I suggest that if any of you care to provide
future input into the way the city adapts this ordinance to regulate
this and other similar events, that you follow the agenda's of the
"District Advisory Boards," which are apparently going to be charged
with drafting or suggesting a new ordinance that will be more fair in
dealing with our kind of event. Wichita has a great Web site at
www.wichitagov.org. You can find the meeting times and proposed agenda
for the "DAB's" on that site.

The text of the email from City Hall is inserted here:

"Dear Mr. Wallace and others who are concerned:

I spoke with the Law Department yesterday regarding the citation for
Itinerate Merchant relating to the Saturday computer sales. The Law
Department informed me that Mr. Wallace's citation will be dismissed. If
you have not heard from Beth Harlenske, I am sure that she intends to
call you shortly and notify you of the dismissal.

The Law Department will be reviewing the ordinance and studying how
other communities address such types of sales. They will develop a
background report and provide a recommendation or recommendations on how
such sales can be handled (should they determine that our ordinance
needs to be modified). The recommendations will be taken to the District
Advisory  Boards (DABS) for review and comment before the ordinance goes
to the City Council.  There will be an opportunity for interested
individuals to review the background paper and any ordinance
modifications at make comments at the DAB meetings. Should you have
questions about the ordinance Elizabeth Harlenske in the Law Department
can help you. Should you have questions about the DAB process either
Linda Hamilton or Dana Brown can help you (both are in the City
Manager's Office)."

Thank you again for your effort, and I congratulate you in your success.
We hope to see each of you on April 13th at the Bingo Palace on 41st!

Warmest Regards,
Tim L. Wallace and David B. Maus, Co-Producers, SaturdaySale