Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:51:30 -0600

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:19:49PM -0600, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> "How the kernel works" is a huge topic that very few people in the world are
> qualified to fully discuss.  And anyone in our group who knows any aspect of
> the kernel well enough to explain "how it works" likely does not understand
> the other parts of the kernel well enough to discuss it.
>
> A very general "How the kernel works" topic might work, but it would be
> mostly informative, and probably not very interesting.
>
> How to "streamline" the kernel is pretty dull, too.  That can be handled in
> a couple sentences:
>
> 1) Select the proper archetecture (i386, i486, i586, K6, etc)
> 2) Don't install modules/drivers you don't need

I agree that a "How the kernel works" is too big for a one time
presentation, and is probably best learned by reading a book such as
"Linux Kernel Internals".

However, the process of configuring and compiling a kernel could be a
useful topic. While your point 2 above sounds easy enough, I have
found that most people newer to Linux look at all of the configuration
options and ask, "how do I know if I need that or not?" Also, there
are several tools for configuring the kernel that could be
discussed. One could also talk about patching the kernel and things
like that. Sure, most of it is covered by the Kernel-HOWTO, but it
would make a reasonable presentation.

Steve