Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:19:49 -0600

"How the kernel works" is a huge topic that very few people in the world are
qualified to fully discuss.  And anyone in our group who knows any aspect of
the kernel well enough to explain "how it works" likely does not understand
the other parts of the kernel well enough to discuss it.

A very general "How the kernel works" topic might work, but it would be
mostly informative, and probably not very interesting.

How to "streamline" the kernel is pretty dull, too.  That can be handled in
a couple sentences:

1) Select the proper archetecture (i386, i486, i586, K6, etc)
2) Don't install modules/drivers you don't need

That's about all there is to it, unless you're going to start hacking kernel
drivers to remove features you don't specifically need... and then that
jumps way into the league of an "advanced topic."

-- Jonathan

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:28:22PM -0600, Anne McCadden wrote:

> I am also interested in how the kernal work and how to streamline in
> rc.d, but I was informed that this is an advanced topic and might be
> difficult to present or find a qualified person to present the topic.
>
> I know how to logon as root and check rc.d, but I don't know what some
> of the process are.  Some are easy to figure out, Apache, MYSQL, but
> some of the processes I don't what they are.  Needed process or a
> Trojan?  Anyone else interested in this topic?  I has been mentioned
> before. ~Anne
>
> Michael Holmes wrote:
> >
> > A lot I am not interested, I look at the subject and if it is what I am
> > interested in, I attend.  I am a programmer, I also work with motion
> > control---which is great in Linux.
> >
> > I am interested in how the kernal works & how to trim out stuff not needed
> > (ie. Apm.o running on a HVAC controller computer)  This subject would
> > directly benifiet my job.  (So would spelling lessons, but these palms do
> > not have spell checkers )
> >
> > Michael A. Holmes
> > a palm message
> > maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > -- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
> > -- Type: application/ms-tnef

> > visit http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

'640K ought to be enough for anybody.' - Bill Gates, 1981