Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] ACLUG

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] ACLUG
From: Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:02:47 -0600

I hope you do not mind if I express my personal opinion.
Many cities have a LUG and I am pleased that Wichita
is one of these cities.  With respect to my knowledge
of Linux, I consider myself one of the "newbies" (or
ordinary Linux users who do not edit etc/ and use a
GUI or gvim or vim).  I have seen Clint, Dale, John, Jon,
James, James, and lots of others spend time helping
newbies install Linux.  (Laptops seem to be a pain.)
I have asked dumb questions (no surprise??).  I have
found many ACLUG members to be very helpful.
While I think more could be done to introduce WSU
people (students/faculty/staff) and Wichita-area people
to Linux, I realize that ACLUG is a volunteer activity
and I support it (including Clint, Dale, Jon, John, etc).

I happen to understand the anti-M$ bias; the idea
that a company can look through another business
(or a university) and claim that it is owed $150,000
per missing or lost license seems criminal and
un-American to many people.  Even M$ supporters
have trouble justifying this issue.  The dishonesty
of some "M$ groups"  (e.g.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/04/1629246&mode=thread)
bothers me. (See, for example, the comments by
ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in this thread; he writes
> Regardless of anything else, using these number to
> declare that one thing is more secure than another
> is a mistake. Based on our numbers, why didn't they
> declare that everyone should run MacOS for security?
> Or that if you want to be more secure, run Debian
> instead of Win2K?
Everyone knows the about the tactics of M$.  This is
separate from using a M$ OS to play games, run a
business, etc.