Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: What you might see if you Pirate WinXP ;-)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: What you might see if you Pirate WinXP ;-)
From: gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 01:02:20 -0500

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 21:20, you wrote:
> Are you using Easy CD creator or Nero on Windows?  If you are using Easy
> CD creator, then what version, 4 or 5?  I switched to Nero 5 at Jeff's
> suggestion and it works great.  It is burns faster and getting less
> coasters.

Adaptec EZCD Creator 4.0.3 iirc...  4.0 (which came w/ my CDR) would lock up
when trying to read the 700MB discs, but the newest 4.x version (I did all
the upgrades for my version from their website)...  Would love to try 5, but
I haven't seen it in any newsgroups i've been in lately!  :^ )  Never had any
coasters w/ Adaptec EZCD that I haven't caused myself...    except this one
and an earlier XP beta (the version I tried, if i haven't mentioned already,
was WinXP Corp. Ed. Final aka WinXP Pro)

> Other things that you could check is the condition of the burned CD,
> does it have scratches or smudges.  I have seen some CD's that had even
> minor smudges and finger prints cause the program to crash.  Sometimes
> they have a film on them and I have had to gently wash a CD or 2 to get
> them to work.  I know now to be careful as to who I lend CD's to. :-}

nope, it's in perfect condition...  tried it about 5 min after i burned it
(w/o removing it from the drive until after the first bomb, then tried my
CDROM instead)...

the thing that happens is this: i can start the install from WinME and it
copies all the files and tells me all about the new wonderful "Features" of
XP...  then it has to reboot to perform the actual installation (similar to
NT and 2K)...  it boots up, does the "Starting Windows..." screen w/ all the
"||||||||||" at the bottom, goes to the blue installation screen (as in
2k/NT) and I get an error something like "Error on line XXX of
d:\some\path\arcdisp.c.  Press any key to reboot."  I don't think it's a prob
w/ the ISO or CD...  I had a similar problem w/ XPbeta (can't recall what
build) and Win2k Pro (it worked until GW replaced my motherboard, then
mysteriously 2k refused to boot...  and i couldn't install it...  it would
lock up at about the same step in the installation)...  I tried contacting GW
about the problem, but they were very reluctant to help me out (since I've
already had to get 5hdd's, 2 monitors, 1 power supply, 1 mobo, 1 power
switch, and 2 CDROM's replaced by them...  plus i was about 2 days from my 3
yr warranty at the time.)...  all they told me to do was download their
"solve all" program GWSCAN.EXE and use it to do a low-level format (or "write
0's to the drive" as they call it) and  try it again...  guess what... didn't
work!

i believe the problem w/ 2k was due to some change in the bios (i assume it's
a later version, because now the "splash screen" is like the newer gateways
and takes up the entire screen... it also dropped the "2000" from their
name)...  I looked on their website for bios upgrades for my chipset, but
according to them, i'm running the latest version...  i don't, however, know
which version i was using prior to this or else i'd just flash down the bios
to that version and try again... : ^ (  damn, i need a new computer!

gLaNDix
--
<<< lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jul 5 06:16:31 CDT 2001
glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LLOYDIX >>>