Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: KDE or Gnome?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: KDE or Gnome?
From: gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:10:03 -0500

On Tue 28 Aug 2001 11:20 pm, you wrote:

> Be it known: I don't like how gnome looks. I do use it occasionally though.

there are some good themes, but some of the layout (ie: the default menu) is
horrendous! (sp?)

> From what I have heard, KDE is light-years ahead of GNOME in the
> modularity, and because of that devel is actually much faster than nome,
> but the drawback is that the virtual stuff required makes it slightly
> slower, but with recent releases the speed is getting much better.

definately...  running KDE actually feels like you're running a complete
different OS (w/ a few tweaks, reminds me very much of BeOS)...  GNOME feels
more "patchy"...  KDE apps work together and just plain do...  sometimes it
takes some real tweaking to get GNOME apps to cooperate (case in point:
getting GTM to work properly with Galeon....  but Konquer just plain
works)...  Also, the integration between apps on KDE is ahead of even Windows
in a number of areas...  again, reminds me more of BeOS/Mac than some hacker
OS.  on my P200/64MB RAM i'm fairly limited on what i can do (or what i can
do @ the same time as something else), so KDE does get fairly bogged down
pretty quickly (comparative to Enlightenment on my system) where GNOME is
much faster (when using a GTK engine theme, such as GtkSTEP or Crux rather
than a pixmap-based theme)...

the other thing that (IMHO) really sux about GNOME is the plethora of
seemingly unrelated dependancies (sp?)...  everything has a completely
diffent name (ie: ORBit, gtk, libxml, gtop, etc)...  it's really hard to
remember what all GNOME is dependant on if you need to upgrade...  on the
otherhand, most of the main KDE packages are named like kdelibs, kdebase,
kdemultimedia, koffice, etc...  really easy to figure out not only that they
go together, but what they are! : ^ )

i have just recently upgraded to KDE2.2 which even blows away KDE2 (which
blew the hell out of KDE1)...  all sorts of new things to play with (fading
menus, anti-aliased fonts, fade effects on the task bar, application start
feedback, etc)...  really makes the idea of linux becoming more of a desktop
OS easier to grasp...

now, if i could only get fonts working in KDE the way I want to...  the only
major thing i've had problems w/.......

gLaNDix