Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Power Transformers

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Power Transformers
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:03:20 -0500

Four percent seemed pretty high to me, so I grabbed a handful of transformers
from the wart bag and tested them for power usage.  Using average current (don't
have an RMS meter) most of them run about four watts.  But I did find a big one
with four output voltages that pegged the meter at 200 mA.  That's 24 watts.

I've got seven with my computer stuff (some don't run all the time) and there
are probably 5 more in the rest of the house - using 12 x 4 watts gives 48
watt-hours per hour or 35kwh per month.  We averaged 1120kwh per month during
the last year I have it figured, so it's less than 3% if they are on all the
time.  And I suspect most folks have fewer than I.

Nevertheless - I have now found a better way to turn off my server.  Turn off
the power strip.
bruce