Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Partioning disk help...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Partioning disk help...
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 22:58:24 -0500

Root/Great Overall Dictator replies:
> I'm finally getting around to setting up Linux on my Winbox. (Muffled
> applause from the audience.)
>
> I've got a HD ready to go. It's 1.2 gig, currently formatted for Windoze
> files. The RedHat 7.0 setup utility is asking me to set up the files, and
> I'm not quite sure what to do...

Do you want to wipe the whole drive or just a partion 1.2 gb for a dual boot
is a little tight. (procedeing according to a dual-boot)

> Doesn't Linux need room for swap files? Basically, I want to dedicate what
> is currently D: (hdb in Linuxspeak) for Linux partitioning. How do I do
> this? (RedHat permits use of Disk Druid and fdisk.)

Seperate physical hard drives or seperate partitions? (procedeing based on
seperate hard drives)

In disk druid, select hdb1, and delete it. repeat until it has nothing on it.
Next create a 16 mb or so partition (linux-native) and have it mount at /boot
Then create a partion of about equal to your ram size (more if you have low
ram space) of type swap.
Now either create 2 partitions one of /home and the other of / or create one
that mounts at / (any combo will be all ext2 (linux-native))

> Thanks in advance,
>
> BCH

no problem, email if I got something wrong

james l