Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Sprint Broadband Direct

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Sprint Broadband Direct
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:06:30 -0500 (CDT)

Yeah, I don't blame you...  supposedly they're supposed to be coming out
with "Generation II" soon, which will take care of a lot of the existing
problems...  but, also keep in mind that the wichita market is largely a
beta-testing area, meant as nothing more than testing out their system...
why they charge full price, who knows...

gLaNDix

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Maverick wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Maverick <mluvw47@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Sprint Broadband Direct
>

> Well, I think I better stick with DSL or Cable. I
> don't think the Sprint Broadband Direct will get
> popular soon, the installation seems pretty
> troublesome. I think after couple years the price will
> drop a lot.
>
> Mav
> --- Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > At 03:33 PM 5/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >Well, being a former installer of sprintbbd, here's
> > what i can tell you:
> > >
> > >- faster download than cable/dsl on avg
> > (500-750kbps)
> > >- upload is around 21kbps
> > >- reliable service, quality installers
> > >- cable runs much cleaner than Cox/RR
> > >
> > >now for the bad stuff:
> > >
> > >- if you're not in the "perfect" location, you
> > can't get it
> > >- due to the tower not being tall enough, coverage
> > is somewhat sparse
> > >- trees, landscape, and buildings play a HUGE roll
> > in whether or not you
> > >can get signal
> > >- very few installs use a DSS-type mount...  most
> > common range from 5-6'
> > >wall mounts all the way to 20' masts on the roof
> > >- if you don't get good signal at 30', you're
> > screwed
> > >
> > >honestly, check it out...  sign up for an
> > install...  they will come out
> > >and perform a site survey and let you know what all
> > the install will
> > >require before they do anything to your house...
> > if they do not get good
> > >enough signal, it will be a "TU" (technically
> > unsuccessful)...  if you
> > >don't like the mount / install they will need to
> > do, just tell them, the
> > >ticket will be closed, and nothing will be done to
> > your house (and no
> > >charge for rolling to the site).
> > >
> > >anyway, i thought the group might want to hear some
> > info on sprintbbd
> > >directly from someone who had 1st-hand
> > experience...  hope it helps!
> > >
> > >Jesse Kaufman
> > >(gLaNDix)
> >
> > Maybe can give it a try.  I went back through Google
> > and all the complaints
> > seemed to be out of the Phoenix area.  Do you know
> > why Business prices are
> > so much higher than Residential?  Can a business get
> > a residential account?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ryan
> >
> > -- This is the discussion@xxxxxxxxx list.  To
> > unsubscribe,
> > visit
> >
> http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi
> >

> =====

<<< Linux lloydix.2y.net 2.4.3 #6 Tue Apr 17 19:50:56 CDT 2001 i586 unknown >>>

 Abe: Grampa's the name.  Did you know this tree dates back to frontier
      times?
Kids: Wow!  Frontier times. etc.
 Abe: Shut up!
                -- Maybe intimate, but not interactive, "Lemon of Troy"