Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Sprint Broadband Direct

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Sprint Broadband Direct
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:33:32 -0500 (CDT)

Well, being a former installer of sprintbbd, here's what i can tell you:

- faster download than cable/dsl on avg (500-750kbps)
- upload is around 21kbps
- reliable service, quality installers
- cable runs much cleaner than Cox/RR

now for the bad stuff:

- if you're not in the "perfect" location, you can't get it
- due to the tower not being tall enough, coverage is somewhat sparse
- trees, landscape, and buildings play a HUGE roll in whether or not you
can get signal
- very few installs use a DSS-type mount...  most common range from 5-6'
wall mounts all the way to 20' masts on the roof
- if you don't get good signal at 30', you're screwed

honestly, check it out...  sign up for an install...  they will come out
and perform a site survey and let you know what all the install will
require before they do anything to your house...  if they do not get good
enough signal, it will be a "TU" (technically unsuccessful)...  if you
don't like the mount / install they will need to do, just tell them, the
ticket will be closed, and nothing will be done to your house (and no
charge for rolling to the site).

anyway, i thought the group might want to hear some info on sprintbbd
directly from someone who had 1st-hand experience...  hope it helps!

Jesse Kaufman
(gLaNDix)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Ryan Claycamp wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:43:14 -0500
> From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Sprint Broadband Direct
>

> At 11:43 AM 5/30/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Hi, all
> >    Sorry for the empty mail, Is that anyone aware of
> >the Sprint Broadband Direct? is that better than DSL
> >or Cable modem? seems it is still kind of over price
> >compare to the Cable modem.
> >
> >     Is that any one current using? share some
> >experience? Thanks.
>
> I looked into getting this for the company about a few months ago, because
> that is the only broadband service we can currently get.  There were a lot
> of negative comments about it on the web.  Check Google Groups.  I don't
> remember specifics, but people were complaining about service and
> reliability.  I didn't find too many positive experiences and we decided
> not to go with it.  Maybe things have improved in the time since I checked
> though.
>
> Ryan

<<< Linux lloydix.2y.net 2.4.3 #6 Tue Apr 17 19:50:56 CDT 2001 i586 unknown >>>

Techie: Talking doll, take eight.
  Lisa: "When I get married, I'm keeping my own name."  Oh, no, that
        should probably be "If I choose to get married."
Techie: Uh, look, little girl, we got other talking dollies to record
        today.
Krusty: [barging in with cue cards] All right, you poindexters, let's
        get this right!
        One: "Hey, hey, kids, I'm Talking Krusty."
        Two: "Hey, hey, here comes Slideshow Mel" -- again -- "Here
        comes Sideshow Mel".  "Sideshow Mel".
        Three: [does a Krusty laugh]
        Budda-bing, budda-boom, I'm done.  Learn from a professional,
        kid.
         [walks out, squeals his tires away]
Techie: OK, Krusty, we are ready to roll any -- what the...?
                -- Don't blink, "Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy"