Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Shells

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Shells
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:58:58 -0500

> So, my question is, why do people want their ISP to offer shells? What
> do you want in the shell service? In other words, what would you use
> the shell for, that you can't do yourself?

I can't check my personal email and news from work (or the library, or WSU,
or wherever...) I don't carry my personal system with me everywhere. There is
a firewall at work which would prohibit me from setting up a pop session from
there (and I wouldn't want my personal email on one of their machines
anyhow). I can, however, use ssh over socks to get out. I used to do this to
southwind, no more.

That's all I need. My machine at home is a dialup system and I can't do a
quick email check during the day 'cause it's not connected most of the time.

Greg