Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Shells

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Shells
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 05:06:24 -0500

My personal reasons for using a shell (other than my own):

1) Attempting to download a large file quickly (before the remote network
goes down if the network is unstable or on a dynamic IP, etc), then I can
later download it over my (presumably) slower connection (whether it bie
Dialup or something else).

2) Allows for a 'central' place to store files, whether it be e-mail, or
other files I wish to access from places other than home.  (Having my own
dedicated network, I really don't need more than my own shell for this
anyway, but many people with cable, DSL, or Dailup might still find this
helpful).

3) Diagnostics.  It's often helpful to be able to run ping, traceroute, or
even telnet from a machine other than my own personal machine--to see if the
problem is with me or the remote end or something in between.

And one further reason that does not apply to me, but does to some people:

4) The ability to run remote daemons or servers, such as eggdrop bots (for
IRC), remote network monitoring software, MUDs/MUXs/MUSHs/etc (multi-user
telnetish games).

This violates the terms of most "standard" ISPs shell policies... thus there
are many companies out there that specialize in offering "eggshells" for
people who have these needs.