Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Firewall Question

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Firewall Question
From: "Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 15:18:12 -0600

Greetings,

I have a pppd internet dial up connection, set up for what used to be
Southwind.  It dials on demand.  I now have a firewall setup that will
close open ports, and deny access to anyone not on my network.  The
thing is, because I have a dynamic ip address that changes each time I
connect, the firewall has to be re-started each time the demand dial up
connection is initiated.  The explanation I have says to start it with
the same script that begins the internet connection.  I have tried to
put it in the "options" and "southwind.chat" files that are used by
pppd, but that just produces errors.  I also tried putting it in
ip-up.local and ip-up, with no success.

Question, how can I set this up to start the firewall after my dial up
is handed it's ip address from the isp?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Carl