Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Playing mpgs with Gimp

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Playing mpgs with Gimp
From: Jared Johnson <solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:53:13 -0600

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 05:47:15PM -0600, Greg House wrote:

> My friend was asking me about this recently and I didn't really know anything
> about it. I guess there's an mpg movie player plugin for Gimp. He's installed
> it, but can't seem to get it to work right (displays one frame from the
> movie).

dunno about that one

> Short of this, what mpeg player applications are you using? I've tried aKtion
> (xanim), but it won't play them smoothly. They look terribly grainy and jumpy
> (like it's displaying about every 5th frame or something). The same movie
> files
> play fine on Windows, but I haven't found a Linux app that'll play them well.
> Any suggestions?

smpeg is nice.  it comes with, i think, plaympeg and gtv.  xmms also has a
plugin (even nicer i hear) which uses the smpeg library to play them.  i don't
know offhand where you can find these, but freshmeat.net and xmms.org are your
friends.  if you want to play avi, asf, etc. in linux you should look into the
new avifile, which can support just about any codec (divx, etc.) with help from
windows dll's -- i don't know what it has native support for though.

good luck

-Jared Johnson