Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Secure Transaction!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Secure Transaction!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 23:21:50 -0500

John Reinke wrote:

> I was thinking about creating the same thing a couple months ago, and
> realized there must be an easy way to do that without starting from
> scratch. I know I could do it, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

I understand. The reason I would like to reinvent the wheel is for
learning purposes only. I have been coding for last few months in perl
under linux and the main objective here is to learn as much as I can. So
I decided to wet my feet and design a catalog/cart system(very simple
one at that) using MySQL and Perl.
> I found a GPLed project at opensales.org, and support is provided at

> opensales.com if you need it.

Yea i did some serach on the internet and found some open source stuff
too.(Minivend... and such) I will check out opensales.com.

> As for the credit card processing, it depends on how much business you
> expect. Verisign is actually a rather affordable solution - $20/mo flat
> rate (after their setup fee and setting things up with your bank) for
> under 1000 transactions. It's called Payflow Link, and you just provide a
> link so the appropiate info is entered at their site, and they link back
> to your site when the transaction is done. You control how much info is
> sent to their site and how much they return back to you. You even control
> what the page looks like at Verisign's site, so customers don't think they
> clicked on the wrong link. They have other options for more transactions
> per month, and where you do all the programming yourself so customers
> don't leave your site.
>
> http://www.verisign.com/payment/products.html
>
> I hope that helps!

Great I will check that out as well. But this is going to be my pet
project for next month and a half. (PHP After I am done with it) So
Basically I want to implement some type of secure data transfer. I found
out about OpenSSL (Apache) and Mod_ssl and will do some reading and
research on em. So will probably not go through all those Merchant
account stuff for now [I have so little money :(].

I really appreciate your valuable input. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Mohammed.