Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: C question..Another one...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: C question..Another one...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Aug 2000 08:51:09 -0500

"Michael Holmes" <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Does ANSI C++ offer an include file which includes cursor placement (i.e.
> locate) and a clear screen.  All the books I have just show old /n /f /t
> stuff  I put the slashes backwards as not to mess with the mail programs.

The slashes *are* backslashes and are supposed to be \n, \f, \t, etc.
To get more sophisticated, you will need the curses or ncurses
library.

> I am writing one of the programs in a linux environment, but I must be able
> to put the current time on the bottom left corner of the screen, with out it
> blinking!   Linux won out, as it has to be able to be depended on!  reliable.

ncurses to the rescue!

> Also, to write data out the /dev/ttyS1 in the program you just use
> fopen(/dev/ttyS1) ?  Right?
> It has been a few years since I have had to sit down and use the comm port.
> I need to set it up at 11k to a Windoz box, and it will send data packets to
> the windoz box.

Yes, you can just open it.  Usually you will not use stream I/O but
rather syscall I/O -- that is, open() instead.  A quick hack to
setting the bps rate is setserial(8).  Otherwise, you'll need to use
the termios(3) interface -- tcflush(), tcflow(), cfsetospeed(), etc,
etc.

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                       www.complete.org
Sr. Software Developer, Progeny Linux Systems, Inc.    www.progenylinux.com
#include <std_disclaimer.h>                     <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>